Re: Home directories with spaces (was: Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.)

On 29 Jul 2002 at 23:48, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >Wait a minute, we were talking about searching the mailing list
> >archives, not Google. Also, there are so many ways to phrase that
> >that a priori I'd have no reason to expect any one phrasing to work,
> >and I can't be bothered to try every permutation.
>
> Hmm.  Given that there are thousands of people reading this mailing list
> you could expect many replies.  There is no way of knowing which of
> them would be correct.  Sounds like it is not worth your time to be
> asking questions either.

The analogy doesn't hold. Generally the ignorant refrain from opening
their mouths and babbling, while the knowledgeable are all too happy
to help. A search engine isn't that smart; only its user can judge
relevance, but on a mailing list I'd hope responsers were generally
capable of judging relevance and deciding whether or not to reply on
that basis.

> Although, I suspect your real reason for not using Google is that you
> can't argue with Google.  Or maybe you find that you are winning all
> of your arguments with Google and are looking for a challenge.

I didn't come here to argue, I came here for expert help with a
problem. If I wanted an argument I'd post to alt.flame. If I wanted
to do everything myself I would research on Google instead of posting
to the list. But if everyone is supposed to do that what's the
purpose of this list?

> We don't send out notices every time the FAQ is updated.  The reason we
> include the URL for the FAQ in the bottom of this message and suggest,
> in the mailing list welcome message, that you consult it before posting
> is because it is guaranteed to be more up-to-date than something you
> downloaded a while ago.

I did consult the FAQ before posting. I looked for any reference to
"error 193" and found none. That, of course, being all I had to go on
at the time. Surely you're not suggesting that I consult the FAQ
before *every single posting*, even responses to a thread, and not
just before starting a new one? That would consume way too much time
for too little likely gain.