make problem -- does not terminate on error

Hello.

I use make recursively to build a large number of libraries.

Recently I added a new set of libraries to my makefile targets, using a new
compiler (aq430.exe from Archelon). With this compiler (and not with any
others I've tried, e.g. gcc), when an error is encountered, e.g:

1 fatal error
aq430: aq430c error return -1 -- processing terminated

make just keeps on going instead of stopping. This happens on Win2k and
Win98 machines. Note that above, aq430.exe call aq430c.exe.

Archelon tested my makefiles under mingw32 make v3.79.1, and there, it
behaves properly.

Any ideas why this problem occurs under Cygwin and not mingw32?

I'm using the latest version of Cygwin.

Thanks,

Andrew