Re: Performance of New Installation

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Alex Hole wrote:

> My problem is that in trying to compile gdb for a cross platform target,
> the configure script took more that 2 hours to run.

[This is mostly a repeat of a message I wrote last week]

Nothing is free. The extra layer of portability Cygwin provides costs
something in performance even if it is gratis. Anything that is
file-intensive or runs lots of other processes (e.g. configure; make)
will have performance problems. Some suggestions for speedups despite
this:

1) I find automated virus checkers slow Cygwin's performance A LOT

2) make your PATH as short as possible (your path is way longer than
   it needs to be to do this build)

3) make sure it doesn't include network shares or double slashes at
   the beginning which will cause it to try to access a network share
   (I know you did this already; just a reminder)

4) use mount --executable to speed up checking for executables
--
Michael Hoffman <grouse@mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin