Re: cygwin-ENV-Variable

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 09:01:26PM +0200, Sven K?hler wrote:
>hi,
>
>i'm trying to use gpg with Mozilla.
>
>i don't like the native windows-port - because some ill person decided
>to put config-files into c:\gpg - so i'm happy to have my cygwin port.
>
>i realized that enigmail doesn't pass the CYGWIN-Variable to gpg when
>executing.
>
>could you imagine chaning the ENV-Variable into a Reg-Key!?
>
>haveing a Reg-Key somehow sound better in my ears, than haveing an
>Env-Var. what do you think?

There is already an undocumented way to do this in cygwin via the
Program Options registry key.  Create a new key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options

under this, you can create an string entry named "default" with data
containing CYGWIN environment variable options.  If you add an "export"
option to the end of the data values, a CYGWIN environment variable will
be regenerated from the registry and visible in the environment.

You can also set options for individual programs by adding an entry like:

Name			Type		Data
c:\usr\sbin\inetd.exe	REG_SZ		tty export

That will make cygwin always set the cygwin option to tty and export
a CYGWIN=tty for every program that inetd invokes.

The main reason this this is not documented is that there is no
programmatic way to manipulate it and I am not comfortable with telling
people how to edit the registry "by hand".

However, if you are familiar with the registry, then setting this value
should not be a big deal.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .