Re: rshd authentication

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:21:46AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >rlogin/rsh always ask for the password on interactive login.
>
> That seems "different" , at least to what I was used to with HP-UX.
> Indeed there is no mention of this in the man page for rlogin except to say:
>
>    If the remote host does not supporting Kerberos the standard
>    Berkeley rhosts authorization mechanism is used.
>
> There is no Cygwin man page for rhosts however looking at
> http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/cgi-bin/unixhelp/man-cgi?rhosts I find
>
>    The rlogin program falls back to the standard password-based login
>    procedure if the remote authentication fails.
>
> Which would seem to suggest to me that if the remote authentication
> works then no password should be prompted for.

You're right.  It turned out that the cause is the login(1) application
which on NT systems didn't allow login w/o password.  Unfortunately
I never adjusted login(1) after we introduced login w/o password
capability with Cygwin 1.3.6.  I did that now and uploaded a new version
of the login package.  Should be on the mirrors in some hours.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.