[OT] ?? Still continuing to have NT remote authentication problems

This is related to my thread about sshd dumping a connection after
authenticating with public key authentication without any logging.

I have found that the same thing happens when I connect from my Linux box
to my NT box over the LAN.  I am also getting problems using samba going
from Linux to NT.

I am using a user called 'TEST'.  I have set the user rights to allow
"Access this computer from network', but when samba tries to logon as
TEST, the security event is "unknown user or bad password".  I KNOW this
is the right password since I did a logon with this user locally to NT.

For what it's worth, I ran "syskey" to encrypt the passwords to 128 bit
instead of 40 bit.  Would this be the problem?

Can anybody give me where to look in my NT setup to try to figure this
out?  This may probably not now a Cygwin problem, except for the fact
that sshd's public key authentication doesn't use the TEST NT password or
access much of any of the NT user information, right?

Maybe someone who knows NT really well that is reading this list can
point me in the right direction, perhaps suggest some sort of logging
tools or registry keys.  I'd appreciate any advice.