Thinking of updating gawk

I have some spare time right now and am thinking about getting together
cygwin packages for gawk 3.1.1. (The latest cygwin packages are only for
gawk 3.0.4.)

I think this shouldn't be too hard, as gawk 3.1.1 will build virtually "out
of the box" under cygwin, and the binary-only package might be quite simple
to do. However...

I'm a total newbie at making cygwin packages. I've looked thru the online
material about putting together packages for cygwin, but I could use a
little off-line guidance on this subject. (Hopefully, from someone who has a
little familiarity with building gawk or other gnu packages, but anybody in
a pinch.)

Then, once I can do the binary package and am clear on a few other issues, I
can take on the source package.

Any volunteers to render a little aid?