Re: Purchase of Cygwin license.

--- David Place <david.place@ecsi.com.au> wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> We are planing to port a commercial application ("the product") to
> windows
> using Cygwin. If I understand correctly the terms of the modified
> GPL, any
> application linked against the cygwin dll falls under the GPL
> agreement.
> However, if we purchase a cygwin license, the product would not
> falls under
> the GPL agreement. Could you let me know the price of such license,
> and what
> are if the license is on a per project basis or per copy basis.
> Does the
> license cover as well XFree/Cygwin, if not could you let me know
> the price
> and the terms of the license.
> If we allow the user to install cygwin separately, and distribute
> the
> product (without the cygwin dll, but linked dynamically against
> it), does
> the product have to be opensource unless we purchase a license?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply,

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has replied yet, but you sent your message to
a general-intertest mailing list.  While I'm sure RedHat would
appreciate your buisness, this probably not the best place to
establish a point of contact.  For commercial licensing and support,
you'll want to use the contact information on this page (they'll give
you a quote and will be happy to answer all of your licensing
questions):

http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/

As for Cygwin/X11, that is a project which is maintained independant
of the commercial product.  You'll want to check out the following
licensing terms to see if they fit your needs (they probably will,
but I'm not a lawyer...):

http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licence.html

If you have any further questions regarding Cygwin/X11, please feel
free to send a message to the mailing list:

cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

The project maintainer, Harold Hunt, is also contracting services to
impliment any additional X11 features you require, should you be on a
constrained timetable.  You may contact him at:

huntharo@msu.edu

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Cheers,
Nicholas