Best environment setup for using gcc?

Hi. Ive got a rather simple question (which strangly I have had great
difficulty expressing) about whats considered best practice when it comes to
setting up gcc.

I installed cygwin the other day. Up to that point I was using a version of
gcc that came as part of a program called Dev C++ from Bloodshed (I think
that gcc came from mingw). Anyway, then I had it setup so that my PATH
included both the path to the bin and include directories. Include contained
all the common headers including, for example, the windows ones so this
simple setup worked fine and I rarely had to worry about telling the
compiler where to locate included files.

Now Im not sure what I should set my PATH to so that I will be able to
launch gcc (the one I got with cygwin) from dos or from other programs
without worrying about it being able to access the headers. Also I dont know
if I have to do stuff to make the include files accessible when I use gcc
from bash. I looked at the output from gcc -print-search-dirs but it didnt
help me. So how does eveyone else have their environments set up? I cant
just set my PATH to point to usr\include because a lot of the headers are
nested in other directories like w32api. Is it considered bad to have the
kind of setup Im talking about and should just be telling it what
directories to search each time I invoke gcc? Help me conform ...

Thanks.

---