Re: Odd permissions problem

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:11:07PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >Hmm, in theory you shouldn't have access to your home dir under rsh
> >since it's a share from another machine which isn't available to a
> >process running under a SYSTEM environment. Except your home dir is
> >publically available (i. e., no authentication needed).
> >
> Hmmm... I thought, while rshd does run as SYSTEM, etc, that at some
> point I go from being SYSTEM to being me and as such I should have the
> rights that my user account has.

It's the usual difference which has already been discussed on this
list.  Login in with password auth -> share access, login w/o password
-> no share access.

> >rsh hostname echo foo > foo
> >
> Hmmm... That works!
>
> >to check if touch is performing unnecessary tests or an
> >
> >rsh hostname strace touch foo
> >
> Well rsh $(hostname) strace t

Did you rsh using password auth or rhosts auth?  If you used password
auth, the problem is a more general problem and isn't really related
to the authentication method.  The difference between stdio redirection
works and touch doesn't work is weird.  Perhaps an strace of the
stdio redirection shows you the difference.

Btw., in your strace one can see that it's actually Windows which
denies access to the file, not Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.