Re: A Simple Real World Benchmark for cygwin

 Hallo!

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 08:34:10AM +0200, Bjoern Kahl AG Resy wrote:
> > [...]
> > As I understand MSDN, the order of CoInit and CoUnint does not
> > matter, as long as there is an equal number of CoUninit and CoInit
> > at Process termination and the (number of CoUninit) <= (number of
> > CoInit) at every other point of time.
> >
> > But then your examples are identical. I do not know details of
> > the inner cygwin working, so I discuss two possible setups
> > [...]
> > Note: it did not matter, if Thread_2 and Thread_X are in
> > fact the same thread or two different one as shown here.
>
> Basically you're argumentation is right except for the different
> threads.  In single-thread apartment mode, which is the only one
> supported by CoInit, each thread using COM has to call CoInit
> anyway.

 Ok. I silently assumed you use CoInitializeEx with multi-thread
 apartment mode. Seems to was wrong :-)

> However, I think the better way is to change the code to use
> direct calls to ReadFile and to drop usage of COM.  This will
> eliminate the whole problem and is likely way faster.

 Sounds clear.

  Bjoern

| Dipl.-Phys. Bjoern Kahl +++ AG Embedded Systems and Robotics (RESY) |
| Informatics Faculty +++ Building 48 +++ University of Kaiserslautern|
| phone: +49-631-205-2654 +++ www: http://resy.informatik.uni-kl.de   |