Fwd: Fw: [Mingw-users] Whats the latest on libtool and the stub dlllibraries?

Norman,

Please post instead of sending private email.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 10:53:26PM -0400, Norman Vine wrote:
> Is it the -mdll flag that is causing our dll relocation problems
> with the extension modules that are built with setup.py ???

No.  IMO, the above is not relevant to the Cygwin fork()/rebase issue.
Note that the "-mdll" flag is used when building Win32 Python shared
extension modules with Cygwin gcc in "-mno-cygwin" mode -- not when
building Cygwin Python shared extensions.

BTW, Cygwin fork() has rebase issues with Apache, Perl, etc. too.

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 12:14:49AM -0400, Norman Vine wrote:
> and the following (3) modules had the remap error for cygssl.dll
> when run from inside the test-suite
>   test_fork1.py
>   test_popen2.py
>   test_pty.py
> but ran successfully when run directly

The above is the expected behavior.  When the entire Python regression
test is run, the probability of a DLL base address conflict is much
higher than when individual regression tests are run separately.

Jason
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Jason

I just did a quick test compilng a ~month old CVS version
of Python after making the following change in distutills.cygwincompiler

        # Hard-code GCC because that's what this is all about.
        # XXX optimization, warnings etc. should be customizable.
        self.set_executables(compiler='gcc -mcygwin -O -Wall',
#                             compiler_so='gcc -mcygwin -mdll -O -Wall',
                             compiler_so='gcc -mcygwin -shared -O -Wall',
                             linker_exe='gcc -mcygwin',
#                             linker_so=('%s -mcygwin -mdll -static' %
                             linker_so=('%s -mcygwin -shared' %
                                        self.linker_dll))

and the following (3) modules had the remap error for cygssl.dll
when run from inside the test-suite
  test_fork1.py
  test_popen2.py
  test_pty.py
but ran successfully when run directly

HTH

Norman

< I actually changed all occurences of gcc in cygwincompiler to gcc-2
    in that I am using the 'beta' compiler >