RE: emacs on cygwin

> However, I don't use the Cygwin port of Emacs (yet?), so I also do not
> know the status of using "emacs -nw" from a remote shell.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  Does it work?

Hi

I have NT4.0, latest cygwin, Exceed for X-windows emulation and Exceed
telnetd.
I let cygwin-setup install 'emacs with X toolkit'.

I tried the following:
- use exceed to open on xterm on a Linux machine
- from there telnet to my NT machine
- I execute \cygwin\cygwin.bat to get my cygwin environment
  this sort of works, but the terminal display rather screwed up
- I try to improve on this using
	export TERM=xterm
- I do
	export DISPLAY=myNT:0
	emacs
  and yes! there comes an X window version of emacs up, just like it happens
  when I did the 2 above lines on my NT machine locally. (ok, no surprise
maybe)
- I now do
	emacs -nw
and things go very wrong. emacs does start. You see things happening on the
screen,
but it's all jumbled up (it's even worse without the TERM statement). I
can't really do a thing. When I try to quit with ctrl-X ctrl-C I hear a beep
when I press the ctrl-C and that's it. I can't get out. Have to quit telnet
by hand.

Maybe playing around with the CYGWIN_TTY environment variable would help
(but I didn't find any doc on that one).
Of course, using another telnetd might also improve matters. (Is cygwin's
telnetd good and easy to install these days?)

Kris