Re: paths like //usr/local

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:51:19PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>> > Do you think that Microsoft employees read this mailing list?  I'm sure
>> > that there are one or two but I doubt that they could speak definitively
>> > about why Microsoft chose this behavior.
>>
>> cygwin translates paths like /usr/local to c:\cygwin\usr\local and
>> manages mount-points etc...
>> cygwin opffers a complete "virtual filesystem"
>>
>> the cygwin-developers chose, to NOT convert //usr/local to
>> c:\cygwin\usr\local
>>
>> i would like to know why.
>
>Sven,
>Basically your complaint is inconsistent behavior of multiple contiguous
>slashes depending on where they occur in the path (i.e., the initial two
>slashes won't be collapsed, but elsewhere in the path they will be).
>Perhaps something like a unc_prefix is in order, similar to the cygdrive
>prefix?
>"Patches gratefully accepted" (C).  Oops, sorry, I guess it's "Donations
>gleefully accepted" now... :-D

Not in this case.  There is no way that I'm going to change long-standing
behavior in cygwin.

To quote from the Single Unix Specification v3:

"A pathname consisting of a single slash shall resolve to the root
directory of the process.  A null pathname shall not be successfully
resolved.  A pathname that begins with two successive slashes may be
interpreted in an implementation-defined manner, although more than two
leading slashes shall be treated as a single slash."