Re: gcc3 bug or I've got some file wrong?

Lapo,

I don't have a reference to std iostreams handy, but having seen errors like
this many times before, I can tell you what's up.

Even though it looks like there is an error in a system/standard header, it
is actually an indication of where the compiler ended up after
parsing/preprocessing when it discovered an error.  The best way that I
figured out to decipher these types of errors is to ignore all the template
stuff (replace with "XXX") and read the errors themselves:
In copy constructor XXX: XXX is private XXX within this context
(repeated)

>From this, I concluded that the template/class is using the common practice
of "hiding" the copy constructor by making it private (See Scott Meyers
"Effective C++" I believe).  This is to enforce that the class isn't meant
to be copied.  There are a few different scenarios when a copy constructor
is called.  Meyers provides a good description of this practice in "Item 27:
Explicitly disallow use of implicitly generated member functions you don't
want" and "Item 45: Know what functions C++ silently writes and calls".  I
also recommend reading "Effective STL", which has "Item 49: Learn to
decipher STL-related compiler diagnostics", with some useful information on
deciphering template errors.

I don't know what the solution in your case is without looking at your code.
You are using a subclass of std::basic_ios, most likely std::basic_ostream,
std::basic_istream or one of their fstream counterparts.  Try experimenting
with using references if you are passing around an instance like this.

For example:

void readSomething(std::istream & in)
{
// ... some stuff to read from the stream
}

int main(int argc, char ** argv)
{
    std::ifstream fin(argv[0]);