ssh-agent hangs bash at logout even when started with keychain 1.9-1

Hello all,

I'm trying to get keychain working on an NT 4.0 server.

In ~/.bash_profile I have the following:

keychain ~/.ssh/id_rsa
. ~/.ssh-agent-${HOSTNAME}

Upon starting bash (w/the desktop icon and an unmodified cygwin.bat) ssh-agent is started, I get prompted for my passphrase, the PID of ssh-agent matches $SSH_AGENT_PID, $SSH_AUTH_SOCK gets reset, ssh works without passwords, and all is well. But, when I use the exit command to close the shell, bash just displays "logout" and then hangs forever. If I kill the ssh-agent before I type exit, it won't hang. This is the same behaviour I see when starting ssh-agent with eval `ssh-agent` ; ssh-add , which is the very problem I believe keychain is intended to solve.

I have searched the cygwin mail archive and found various refs to running ssh-agent as a service, but I also found this one saying that keychain makes running it as a service unnecessary.

So, I'm confused. Any kick in the right direction would be much appreciated. I'm brand new to Cygwin (like just yesterday), so very humble apologies if I'm missing something fundamental.

Here's the relevant config info from cygcheck -s:
Windows NT Ver 4.0 Build 1381 Service Pack 6

CYGWIN = `binmode tty ntsec ntea'
HOME = `D:\cygwin\home\Administrator'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
PWD = `/home/Administrator'