From: Pierre A. Humblet [mailto:pierre.humblet@ieee.org]
Sent: 22 October 2002 19:39
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Invalid arugment and IO Error with bunzip2

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:15:22PM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:

> I don't understand it that well myself, but as you pointed out, it is not
> the same thing, but a different thing.   And, the default does not work.
> The -d adds the current user and setup does not.   However, it logs you
> in as the current user, which does not have an entry in the /etc/passwd
file,

Domain users should run mkpasswd and mkgroup with the -d and -l switches
to update /etc/passwd and /etc/group.
Setup cannot do it reliably for a number of reasons, e.g. it can be run when
the user is logged in locally, or is disconnected from the domain
controller.
In addition it can take a long time. That may be why setup doesn't attempt
it.

> which causes all sorts of things to break.

I am working on making cygwin much more tolerant to imperfect passwd/group
files. This should start showing up in cvs and the snapshots.

Pierre