Re: After Cygwin and XEmacs upgrade, read-only files aren't detected

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 03:16, David M. Karr wrote:

>     Mark> With the most recent version of Cygwin, 1.3.14, CYGWIN has been set to
>     Mark> 'ntsec' by default.  Unfortunately, this doesn't show up in the output
>     Mark> of 'cygcheck -s -r -v'.
>
> Ok, I guess that's the change that has created this symptom.
>
>     Mark> You might want to consider running the Microsoft 'convert' utility on
>     Mark> your disk to convert your filesystem from FAT32 to NTFS.
>
> The filesystem on my disk is already NTFS.  Is there something in the cygcheck
> output that indicates it's fat32?

Nothing in cygcheck (that I know of).

If you're using NTFS, and changing CYGWIN=ntsec (the default) to
CYGWIN=nontsec solves a problem with file permissions, then there
is something else going on. Normally, if the filesystem on your disk(s)
is NTFS then you want CYGWIN=ntsec in order to get the UNIX-like
file permissions.