Re: rxvt, stty and login

fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net wrote:

> I am really sorry to drone on about this, but I've tried to reduce the
> problem to its basics. I feel more or less certain there's something a bit
> glitchy with recent versions of login and how it interacts with rxvt.
>
> (BTW, I have not yet updated to login-1.6-1 as recently announced.)
>
> Start Cygwin with the sparse switchless command
>
> c:\Cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe
>
> Then just do this:
>
> $ stty -a
>
> speed 38400 baud; rows 25; columns 80; line = 0;
> < .. and lots of other stuff .. >
>
> $ login
> login: <yourusername>
> fergus @ LEPER ~
> $ stty -a
>
> speed 38400 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
> < .. and lots of other stuff .. >
>
> In this second case of stty -a, rows and columns have altered from 25 and 80
> to 0 and 0. Is this not the root of the problem earlier described under
> "pico and nano: number of lines displayed"?
>
> To do this test I deleted .bash_profile, .bashrc and .inputrc. It seems to
> me that this is as sparse an example as I could have provided of this
> strange behaviour, and would like to know whether others can duplicate it?
>
> I am using Windows 98 S/E.

Having tried typing "login username" in an rxvt window I can confirm
that the problem exists on NT4 also. "login" is definitely the culprit
and Sergei Okhapkin, in an earlier reply, showed the section of login
code that's responsible.

It's not clear why you are using login when you already have an rxvt
window. I believe it isn't intended as a way of doing an "su username"
but for use by telnetd etc.  If I don't type login in an rxvt window I
don't run into the problem.

Cheers

Don Sharp