Re: editing automount points via registry question

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, you (whoever you are) wrote:

> i think there was an error when i saw key /usr/bin with the registry
> value of <mycygwin>/bin, i guess i decided to post this here to mention
> about the automounting feature i don't see quite oftenly talked about...
> editing the registry is repelling since you'll have to search for two
> spots for cygwin-> (find 'cygwin' using this text string works good...)

If I understood your question correctly, this is normal behavior.  Under
Cygwin, /usr/bin is the same as /bin.  ISTR that the User Guide has some
reasoning for this.

> - one for root section, the other for X11 font paths,
> - I'm not sure if there's another way to tell cygwin where the root path
>   is, anyone? (CYGWIN_ROOT ?)

Not that I know of.  Cygwin looks in the mount table (which is currently
in the Windows registry, but may not stay there) to find out where its
root is.

> - Does cygwin always need at least these two points in the registry?

It needs at least three: "/", "/usr/bin", and "/usr/lib".  The X11 font
mount is there to ensure binary mode (and thus is only needed in case you
mounted your root as text).  The only "automounts" are the /cygdrive
pseudo-mounts for the various drive letters.

> - Also i noticed that issuing 'mount' after using my custom registry
> values for cygwin paths, tells me that any relative symbolinks or
> relative paths of the same pathnames that are on fat or ntfs records are
> irrelevant, the registry settings would override them, more appropriate
> 'mount' typed in cygwin after the registry settings would show that
> they're mounted automatically and I assume that the 'mount' features of
> cygwin ovverides them. a silly question, but is this safe, or should i
> resort more closely with cygwin scripts using mount..?
>
> jagg

It's generally a good idea when managing Cygwin applications to use the
provided tools or configuration scripts.  If you do that, things are
generally expected to work OOTB.  Also take care to read the relevant
*readme and *howto files.  Use the "mount" command to manipulate the mount
table; use "setup.exe" to install Cygwin.

It is *not* safe to use alternate methods, even if they seem appropriate
(e.g., do *not* use "cd / && tar -xzf tarball" to install stuff).  You
may, of course, do so, but be prepared when any complaints about stuff not
working are met with the question "Did you use appropriate Cygwin tools?".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune