Re: Bug in rm -r with locked files

Yep, I concur.  If windows has a lock on the file, rm just hangs.  I've seen it hang on directories when doing an 'rm -rf yada/*"

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 06:50, Gael Mulat wrote:
    Hi,

    This is a bug report about rm (package fileutils, version 4.1-1) on W2K.

    Test case: take 2 cygwin shells.
shell 1:
    mkdir /tmp/directory
    vi /tmp/directory/file

shell 2:
    /bin/rm -rf /tmp/directory

    The shell2 doesn't manage to remove the directory and goes into an
infinite loop, taking 100% of the CPU.
    All is then OK if we go out of vi in the shell1.

    Doing the same thing (deleting the directory) directly in Windows
produces an error message: "cannot delete directory: Access is denied.
The source file may be in use" and we can notice in the directory a file
named .file.swp that is also visible under Cygwin with ls -la.

    The example I have just given uses vi, but it is the same with all
processes that open the file, as W2K puts a lock on it.

Gael Mulat