Re: Fw: Cygwin 1.3.19 Windows 2000 Professional SP3 bash $home /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%

At 05:55 PM 1/26/2003, David Christensen wrote:
>cygwin@cygwin.com:
>
>Larry Hall wrote January 26, 2003 1:44 PM:
> > there's an implication in all this that setting HOME breaks bash or
> > Cygwin.
>
>I infer from the above that the default Windows setting for HOME is no
>setting at all?  e.g. the variable is undefined?

Right.  Windows does not set HOME to anything.  It doesn't need it.  It
doesn't use it.

>Testing the above hypothesis by deleting my Windows HOME environment
>variable -- Bash/Cygwin now starts in the correct directory
>(/home/dpchrist) and the Bash environment variable HOME is properly set!

Good.

>I also see two more Windows variables:
>
>     TEMP    %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
>
>     TMP     %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
>
>I'll assume Dia Win32 Installer created those and blow them away as
>well.

Actually, no.  These are set by Windows.  The defaults shouldn't cause you
trouble though.

>I now agree that Dia Win32 Installer was the source of my Bash/Cygwin
>problems.  Shame on Dia Win32 Installer for breaking Cygwin, and shame
>on Dia Win32 Installer for not returning my system to it's previous
>state when uninstalled.  I will be sure to thank those people for the
>grief they have cause me and the wasted bandwidth they have caused on
>this mailing list.

Right!  Let's go beat'em up! ;-)

>So, to summarize:
>
>     Bash/Cygwin was broken because the Dia Win32 Installer sets the
>     Windows HOME environment variable when Bash/Cygwin expects it not to
>     be set at all (e.g. unset).

Well, that's a little further than I want to go.  Bash/Cygwin do not expect
that HOME will not be set.  Bash/Cygwin assume that if HOME is set, it is
set to the directory where the user wants HOME to be.

>However, I still say there is a Bash/Cygwin bug -- if Bash/Cygwin reads
>the Windows HOME environment variable and gets "%USERPROFILE%", it
>should evaluate that to get "C:\Documents and Settings\dpchrist" and set
>my home directory to "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/dpchrist".
>Starting in, and setting HOME to, "/usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%" is bad.

Sorry, I can't reproduce this bug with Cygwin 1.3.17 or 1.3.19 (and latest
bash).  If I set HOME="%USERPROFILE%" at my command (cmd) prompt, start bash
with "bash --login -i", and "echo $HOME", I get exactly what I expect.  I
see the name of the directory specified by "%USERPROFILE%".  If I "cd ~",
I get there too.  Can you provide any insight as to how you get HOME
set to "/usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%" in bash?  This seems to be the root of
the problem you saw but I can't reproduce it.