Re: emacs in separate window

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Quan Ding wrote:

> is there a way to start emacs in X mode (separate window, with menu
> stuff), but without using startx and lunching emacs within the X-window?
> I mean, start emacs from the cygwin terminal window, but running it in a
> separate window.

As far as I understand the current packaging - no.  The X part of emacs
uses X11 calls, so you need an X server (not necessarily XFree86, though).

If you're ambitious, you may try to compile emacs from source and link it
with the W11 library that comes with rxvt, although I'm almost certain
there's a lot of missing functionality there.  If you succeed in building
emacs with W11 (and adding the necessary functionality to W11), I'm sure
many on this list will be interested in the results.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune