Printing from cygwin?

I'm having trouble with cygwin lpr printing to my default Win2k printer.
A search of the archives revealed many mailings from people who
similarly could not print using the cygwin lpr, but I couldn't find any
stories of "success."

I invoke:

lpr -P\\\\server\\printer file

Printer is considered by Win2k to be a network printer.

Regardless of the type of file I send, I get the same error reported by
lpr from (apparantly) Win2k about "incorrect datatype."