Re: why is bash trying to access my DNS?

<http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html#rbl-sucks>

> I did diff the strace output with and without allowing access to the DNS
> lookup, and there are no significant differences.
>
> > For how long a while haven't you updated?  Do you have old-style cygdrive
> > paths (e.g. "//c") in your path?  Those now refer to Windows UNC paths,
> > which would be one explanation for this behavior.
>
> It has probably been 2 months since I updated.  I have no '//c' in my
> paths
>
> Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.  While I am
> certain that something about the cygwin upgrade ssh install caused this
> change, it seems toaffect other applictaions too (ipconfig now does a
> DNS request too, which it never used to do)

Well, you could try following the instructions at
<http://cygwin.com/bugs.html> and sending your cygcheck output as an
uncompressed attachment (read the above link first)...

What mail client do you use?  It's very likely someone on the list uses
the same one and will tell you how to turn off compression for text
attachments...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune