sshd authorized_keys fails from network directory

(Please cc: me if you would on any replies)

I would appreciate some insight on this problem, as it would
be great to be able to do what we're attempting:

If I create a domain user and add it to the sshd password file,
and it's home directory is on a file server \\my_server\my_user,
and set up an authorized_keys file, it will not work (I can log in,
but I am prompted for a password).

However, if I move the home directory to /cygdrive/c/test and set up
the authorized_keys file, it works fine.

Similarly, I can map Z: to \\my_server\my_user as the current logged in
user (on the console--a Windows 2000 machine), and then set Z:\ as my home
directory and this will not work either.

Note that I can both ssh and scp in and use this directory normally if
I actually provide a password.  However, it is absolutely necessary to
use rsa authentication for this application.

My theory is that the sshd server is running as a system process uid (my
terminology may not be exactly right--more familiar with unix) at the time
it is looking for authorized_keys, and windows doesn't usually let you look
at network directories you don't mount as that user (?).

If it makes a difference, I'm running samba as the file server, and I have
strict checking turned off (and I've tried it with it on as well).

Thanks for any help.
-cnh
--
Christopher Hammack