FW: >/dev/stderr broken in /bin/sh?, makewhatis unhappy, & apropos confused, or just me?

-----
	"Bash"ism?

>From Oreillynet:

    Some UNIX systems, and utilities such as gawk, support
    special filenames like /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout, and
    /dev/stderr. You can use these just as you'd use other
    files.

I just happened to look and it is on my SuSE system as well -- I didn't
know bash had special handling for it till just now...learn something
new every day!

Oh, you'll like this one: "Learn Linux in 15 minutes a week!":
http://www.2000trainers.com/article.aspx?articleID=144&page=2

Says /dev/std{in|err|out} are standard on linux systems.
Maybe Cygwin should be renamed "CyNUX": "Cygwin is Not
Unix or Linux"? :-)

I guess the author of 'makewhatis' didn't know this either.  Perhaps
it's on enough systems.

> 2) While it's acceptable to have a space in your home directory name or
> the value of $TMP/$TEMP, some scripts cannot handle it (because they're
> missing proper quoting).  My guess is that 'makewhatis' is one such...
----
	"Acceptable"?  Gee...thanks.  Considering Windows comes that
way  ...

> Don't know about the apropos bit...
> 	Igor
---
	So I take it that it doesn't give bogus output on your system...
it's probably some file munged on my system somewhere...I'm alwayws
messing something up ... always using things in ways they were
never "intended" to be used...

	Thanks for the heads up on bash....a simple fix for
makewhatis for it's use of /dev/stdX might be to make the first line
#!/bin/bash instead of #!/bin/sh.

Linda