Re: Determining the location of a Cygwin installation

Tino Lange wrote:

This is not true! There's a trick: At least under >= Windows 2000 you can just put 'cygpath.exe' (and its path) in your so called "ApplicationPaths". This is a Registry location for several utils you can just call by name - no more needed. Have a look at your:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths" When you start such an application it don't need to be in the path of the machine.

Just put 'cygpath.exe' in your Application path - then you're able to use it from everywhere on your machine. So you can find the CYGWIN root with "cygpath -w /".

While interesting there are two flaws here. Firstly, this down't work on all versions of Windows. Secondly, if I could get my users to set their "ApplicationPaths" I could as easily get them to set their PATHs. The real world situation is that this is not the case and neither PATH nore ApplicationPaths are set.

Unsubscribe info:
Bug reporting: