Re: command prompt window title

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> At 15:19 2003-03-31, you wrote:
> >On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> > > Anoop,

> > > It sounds to me like there's a script or other intervening command
> > > definition handling your invocation of "vi."
> > >
> > > Please show us the output of "where vi" (assuming, as you state above,
> > > that you're using tcsh). If you're using BASH, then show us the output
> > > of "type -a vi".

> > > Randall Schulz
> >
> >Randall,
> >
> >Most likely there is no wrapper script.  This is an option of "vim"
> >itself.  In vim, "help title".
> >     Igor
>
> Igor,
>
> That explains why I could not find documentation for the "title /
> notitle" command when Thorsten mentioned it: I looked in the man and
> info documentation.
>
> However, in my Cygwin Vim I cannot get a title to show even when I
> ":set titlestring=something" and ":set title". I tried suspending and
> resuming Vim, too, but still no title. Vim --version" does indicate
> that it was configured for "+title," so I'm uncertain what I'm doing
> wrong that keeps me from getting a title. Maybe it's being displaced
> through time and space to Anoop's system.
>
> Randall Schulz

Randall,

I believe the title/notitle Thorsten meant was the option in the CYGWIN
environment variable, and had nothing to do with vim.

As for vim, when TERM=cygwin, the title of the Cygwin console is not
changed, but I think this is related to the incomplete terminfo entry for
cygwin.  If you set TERM=xterm (in the Cygwin console), vim *will* set the
title (I used the example in "help title").
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II