Re: command prompt window title

At 17:02 2003-03-31, you wrote:
> >Randall,
> >
> >Most likely there is no wrapper script.  This is an option of "vim"
> >itself.  In vim, "help title".
> >     Igor
>
> Igor,
>
> That explains why I could not find documentation for the "title /
> notitle" command when Thorsten mentioned it: I looked in the man and
> info documentation.
>
> However, in my Cygwin Vim I cannot get a title to show even when I
> ":set titlestring=something" and ":set title". I tried suspending and
> resuming Vim, too, but still no title. Vim --version" does indicate
> that it was configured for "+title," so I'm uncertain what I'm doing
> wrong that keeps me from getting a title. Maybe it's being displaced
> through time and space to Anoop's system.
>
> Randall Schulz

Randall,

I believe the title/notitle Thorsten meant was the option in the CYGWIN
environment variable, and had nothing to do with vim.

As for vim, when TERM=cygwin, the title of the Cygwin console is not
changed, but I think this is related to the incomplete terminfo entry for
cygwin.  If you set TERM=xterm (in the Cygwin console), vim *will* set the
title (I used the example in "help title").
    Igor

Igor,

OK, but then why did you tell me this:

This is an option of "vim" itself. In vim, "help title".

Really, it's of little consequence to me, but here's an excerpt from the Vim on-line help text:

Only works if the terminal supports setting window titles
(currently Amiga console, Win32 console, all GUI versions and
terminals with a non- empty 't_ts' option - these are Unix xterm and
iris-ansi by default, where 't_ts' is taken from the builtin termcap).

I know very little about termcap or terminfo (nor which of them Vim uses), but if I cared enough about why this appears not to work for me, I'm sure I could figure it out.

Here's a clue. Vim's ":set title" and ":set notitle" work if I invoke Vim thusly:

% TERM=xterm vi

The title string is restored to it's initial value and reset to Vim's titlestring setting when Vim is suspended and resumed (resp.), too.

So it seems the termcap and / or terminfo descriptions for TERM=cygwin could have the necessary capabilities added (apparently identical to those used by xterm) so Vim could control the window title under the Cygwin console.

Randall Schulz