Re: Some complaints about Perl 5.8.0

jurgen dot defurne at philips dot com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> My main complaint is that it is shoved a little bit to literally into
> one's throat.

Perl 5.8.0 has been available as 'experimental' packages for Cygwin for
*months*.

> Yes, I know I can choose on the installer, but everytime I want to update
> some things, I have to check that Perl is not replaced. Now the installer
> has shoved Perl 5.8.0 on my system (luckily a test system), which first
> of all means that all modules I installed on 5.6.0 I have to redo for
> 5.8.0.
>
> -> Never break an existing system inadvertently !

Never upgrade software on an important system without careful consideration!

> Since there are other things which seem to be optional, Perl 5.8.0 also
> could have been optional.

"Since there are other things..." - What other things do you mean?
Once a package is released as 'current', setup will auto-upgrade, as you
have observed.
Possibly, setup should provide an option to keep versions constant by
default.
Patches gratefully accepted.

Max.