Re: H.T.M.L. (RE: Getting home directory in Windows 2000 environment)

Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

HTML is a legitimate form of information presentation.

True... it doesn't belong in email and news though.

Why doesn't in belong in email and news? Because you (and many others) don't think so. That does not necessarily mean that HTML is not a legitimate form of information presentation and it doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't belong in email and news. It's just that, in your opinion, it shouldn't be used. Others have differing opinions.

Then let it stay where it belongs;

Again, whether HTML "belongs" on the web or in email/news is an arbitrary distinction. IOW you have your opinion and I have mine.

I could have put it the other way: Think about server burden; If every posting on this list would contain one image[1] the server would have a very mush greater load.

Who said that every posting would contain an image? I post (to most other groups and lists) in html all the time. Rarely, very rarely do I include an image. I only include an image if it helps to clarify the situation.

IMO: "Attached images add an unnecessary burden on email downloads"

Quoting is also an unnecessary burden on news groups as most newsservers are setup so one can easily look at past posts.

The BS comes from MS, I have spent hours at my friends computers removing viruses and analyzing problems caused by HTML postings w malicious content. None of it would have been necessary without HTML and the automatic display settings of the above software packages.

Just because HTML can have malicious content (although I've never seen an HTML message with malicious content) does not mean that HTML posting will have malicious content! To the contrary, most people who would (and do) post HTML do not in any way include any malicious content. In fact I'd venture to guess that adding malicious content requires additional tools (For example, I don't know how I even could introduce malicious content into an email message with Netscape or Mozillia).

I use Eudora for mail and Mozilla (and before it Netscape) for news, and they all send HTML mail and images without a problem.

I've said nothing about problems _sending_ - the problems appear at the receiving end.

By definition everyone using Cygwin is using an operating system whose GUI subsystem is not optional. It is unreasonable to demand that corespondents here restrict themselves to plain text.

Hmm... I don't get it. What does you OS and GUI have to do with plain text email format?

What Randall was pointing out was that in the Cygwin environment the user is bound to be using Windows where tools for receiving such content are plentiful (and free).

Plain text has been used in usenet groups, mailing lists, chat forums (IRC) and such for ages. People succesfully discuss a lot of things in plain text format. I see no restriction here.

So where horses for hundreds of year. People used quill pens and ink blotters as well as wax to afix postage to letters and had long term romantic relationships across vast bodies of water. Now they simply call or send email. Life moves forward. Get with the program... :-)