Re: Peculiarities with tar

/ "Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)" <garbage_collector at telia dot com> wrote:
| This might or might not be a cygwin/tar problem...
|
| It appears when tar is running, though...
|
|  Tonight I tried cygwin's tar for a simple backup, from a FAT32  partition,
| over a Windows SMB mount... The output ended up to be a seemingly functional
| archive, but with this in the console:
|
| --
| tar: Removing leading `//' from member names
| tar: //FUJITSU2/D/SPel/nfogrames/CivilizationIII/Civ3Edit.exe: file changed
| as we read it
| tar: //FUJITSU2/D/SPel/ACDSee32/UNWISE.EXE: file changed as we read it

[...]

|  //FUJITSU2/ is a 200MHz P2 and has McAfee 5.21 running on it.
| McAfee checks the files as they're read - does that affect tar's  behaviour?

I recognize this, saw similar problem, disappeared when disabling the
McAfee antivirus, give that a try..

How to get it fixed, turn off mcafee while backupping.

| - Is there a "last accessed date" on FAT32 partitions?
| - Does that change as McAfee reads files?
| - Shouldn't the fact that *tar* reads files also affect the date?

The data affected IMHO should only be raised when it is changed, not
read, problem could be that because fat32 don't have a read-tag, it is
mapped to changed.. and therefore the file gets 'updated' when read.

       /Andy

--
 The parser of the compiler rests on the code!