Setup, Win98, Install :-(

I've tried to read the archives but haven't found anything that seems to
already address the following problem.

We have a bunch of Win98 machines that have had many versions of Cygwin
placed on them, dating back to pretty much 1998.  We have found that we
can't seem to install on them anymore.

We have tried installing from the net and installing from a local package
(typically downloaded from the net into a package folder using a non-Win98
machine).

I've tried setup 2.340.2.5 and 2.249.2.10

I'll describe what happened with a local directory install using 2.340.2.5
because that local package sucessfully installed on a Windows 2k machine.

1. On the "choose a download source" screen we select the bottom option
"install from local directory"

The first hint that things aren't quite correct is that it takes a bit for
the "Select Root Install Directory" screen to appear.  By contrast this
screen came up right away on the Win2k machine (which has a slower CPU!)

2. On the "Select Root Install Directory" screen we choose c:\   (which we
started using years ago and continue to use for historical purposes)  We
choose "Install for All Users"  and DOS as the "Default Text File Type"

3. We say Yes to the warning about installing at c:\

4. We select the local package directory (c:\dist\cygwin_041403).

5. We wait a really long time for the "Select Packages" Screen to come up.
It finally comes up. (By contrast, the Win2k installation brought this right
up)

6. Selecting packages seems to take about 10-15 seconds to update for every
package one selects. (By contrast it is virtually immediate on the Win2k
install)

7. Once all packages have been selected the "Progress" screen comes up.  It
takes it a very long time (several minutes) to show the current disk
utilization (around 43% if one cares).  It never shows any progress in the
"Progress" and "Total" lines at all.  I even went to lunch and came back and
it was still hung there.  A Win98 ctl-alt-del show the task dialog with "Not
Responding" next to the Setup app.

The above steps can be repeated on 3 Win98 machines. They repeat about the
same way with net installs. The result is also the same if I run regedit to
remove all of the Cynus Solution entries in the registry and remove /bin
/usr/ /etc /var and /lib before running setup.  On one of those machines I
upgraded to Win2K and the exact same setup and package installed
immediately.  I would rather not upgrade all of these machines though...

If anyone can offer a suggestion, please do so.

Note1: Virus checking is off