Re: Upgraded, CYGWIN *much* slower

> FYI, you can look in /var/log/setup.log -- it keeps track of every
> setup invocation and is appended.  For the details of the last
> upgrade, see /var/log/setup.log.full

Thanks.  Did that.  I upgraded on 4/11/03.  The previous install was
completed on 01/16/2003.  My version of setup was 2.249.2.5 then and
I upgraded to 2.340.2.5.  The cygwin package was updated from 1.3.18
to 1.3.22.

> > That seems to be the general theme.  Much longer startup and
> > exit times for programs.  They aren't noticeably slower when I
> > use them, they just take a lot longer to start up and to dump me
> > back to the command line.
>
> You could use the "strace" utility to see where the delays are...

I did and found out that the delay is at the very end.  I
particularly notice the delay when running sh scripts.  The last
line of strace for sh is:

4021 20989044 [main] sh 1472 _pinfo::exit: Calling ExitProcess 0

This line hangs for several seconds.  Incidentally, for some of the
more simple utilities, like awk and grep, there is absolutely no
delay after the ExitProcess call.

> Also, see if you have network paths in your PATH, as mentioned in

I reduced the path to the following:

% echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin

Didn't make any difference.

I should note that the problems started when I upgraded.  I made no
changes to the system other than upgrading cygwin.

Thanks for all your help.  I don't know if I'll ever figure this out
but was wondering if anyone else had similar problems.

--
Matthew W. Roberts * (608) 342-1535  *  robermat at uwplatt dot edu
Civil Engineering  *  University of Wisconsin -- Platteville