Problem with PHP: Win32 error 193

Hello!

I'm attempting to get PHP4 to work under Apache. Here is what I've done
so far: To get Apache to work at all I needed to run "rebaseall". This
seemed to go without incident and Apache loads and serves pages just
fine. The rest of the system also seems to still be working normally.

I then enabled the PHP module in the httpd.conf file. The result was an
error during "apachectl start" such as:

Cannot load /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.dll into server: dlopen: Win32 error 193
/usr/local/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I searched the archive of this list and found some recent messages
pertaining to this problem. However, I didn't find any message
containing a resolution. I understand that the 193 error is supposed to
mean invalid exe format. The advice given to a previous poster was to
reinstall the PHP DLL and try again. He did that and he posted a message
saying that it didn't fix the problem.

I freshened my install of Cygwin today. This included an updated PHP
module. The install of that (and other updates) seemed to go fine. I
needed to do "rebaseall" again to get Apache to work again but PHP still
fails with the same error as above. Since I just downloaded a fresh (new)
version of the PHP module, it seems as if the root cause might be
something else other than a simple corruption of the PHP DLL. Has this
matter been fully explained yet?

I'm using Win2k, fully patched (meaning that my updates are current).
Note that I also have the .NET framework installed on this system if
that matters at all. Probably not.

Peter