Re: Cygwin, XP, and copying files and folders from a CD

--- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net wrote:
>
> > Cygwin 1.3.22; Windows XP Pro :
> > Permissions, attributes and writeability
> >
> > I copied files and folders to a Cygwin directory from a CD using commands
> of
> > the style
> >
> >     cp -vr /cygdrive/e/{whatever1} /{whatever2}
> >
> > from within Cygwin. Attempts then to create executables within the
> directory
> > structure /{whatever2} failed, due (I think) to the folder permissions
> which
> > were of the form dr-xr-xr-x rather than drwxr-xr-x. In Windows language,
> the
> > directories copied from the CD were marked +R. (So were the copied files,
> > though this in itself would not frustrate the attempts to create the
> > executables.)
> >
> > Question 1 : Presuming this to be a common enough problem in XP, is there a
> > further switch that can be attached to a cp instruction to strip the +R
> > attribute from files and directories copied from a CD? Or, instead of cp,
> > can anybody with experience recommend using the command install?
> >
> > Question 2 : I decided to delete Cygwin from the machine entirely by (a)
> > umount -A, (b) deleting all mention of *cyg* from the registry (c) finally
> > deleting c:\Cygwin and below. Part (c) failed! Even though all files and
> > folder attributes are -R-A-S-H, in the Windows sense, something is stopping
> > me getting rid of all of them (access denied). (Many files and folders have
> > successfully been deleted: I am talking about a stubborn residue.) Any
> ideas
> > what?
> >
> > Comment: I had just about understood the mapping between Cygwin permissions
> > and Windows attributes in W98, and was putting up with the ludicrous
> > Microsoft-imposed limitations on filenames. Then I "upgraded" to XP, and,
> > omigod, how bitterly I regret it. I seem to have added complication and
> > complexity with no matching advantage gained in utility. Either in the
> > Windows sense, or in Cygwin. Many (if not most?) of us are single users on
> > single-user machines. What's all this about Administrators and User
> Profiles
> > and all that sort of thing, then? Over Goodness knows how many years,
> > Microsoft would surely have been better employed dreaming up a proper
> > 52-letter filesystem. I applaud you developer-guys, I really do, for taking
> > on this monstrous and grotesque family of Operating Systems and,
> apparently,
> > winning.
> >
> > Fergus
>
> Fergus,
>
> For your question 1: is ntsec on?  Did you try giving the "-p" option to
> "cp"?
>
> For your question 2: you probably have a running Cygwin process somewhere
> that prevents files from being deleted.  If you still have "ps" around,
> run "ps -ef" and see if anything comes up.

Fergus,

For question 2, did you have the machine set up for ssh? If so, there are
several files in /etc that are created by the ssh-host-config process and are
readable/writable by only the SYSTEM account on NT/2000/XP. Windows Explorer
will complain and refuse to delete these files until you open up their
permissions.

HTH,

--Rick