using sqlplus on remote server

Hi,
I use Cygwin and rxvt to connect to our Solaris servers.  I then execute
SQL*PLUS on
these servers.  When executing sql*plus I cannot use the delete key or
destructive back
space key to edit the command line.  In fact, I cannot edit the command
line at all.  If I log
on to the server using telnet or x-windows to get to the SQL*PLUS command
line I can then
edit the commands while in SQL*PLUS.
I have searched google.com, cygwin faq and the archives for a similar
problem,
but have not found one.
Thank you in advance
Sam Powell
Sr. Oracle DBA
ICI/Paints
(216)344-8784
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
intended recipient only.  Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal
offense.  Please delete if obtained in error and email confirmation to the
sender.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
intended recipient only.  Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal
offence.? Please delete if obtained in error and email confirmation to
the sender.