Re: setup re-install, or rollforward procedure?

> Rollback now works reliably, so I blew away my 1.3.22-1 install and
> tried to do a new one. After twiddling, I find 2 problems, which
> I'd like to fix or workaround:
>
> * setup.exe found my old download and install directories as well as
>   the new ones. Anything I wanted to upgrade, it cheerfully installed
>   into the new install directory. However AFAICS the only installation
>   options are Keep, Skip, Uninstall, or <version == install the new
>   version>, so setup.exe won't install an existing package into a new
>   install directory. The workaround for this is to copy files from the
>   old installdir to the new installdir (but not replace). (Or twiddle
>   path, but I didn't think of that.) But is there a way to tell
>   setup.exe, "Yes, I know I've already got the package installed in
>   another directory. But that location is not the same as the Root
>   Install Directory in which I just told you I want to install. SO
>   please just install the @#%%^&! package in the new Root Install
>   Directory!" A Reinstall option would be useful.

In the package selection view of setup.exe you have keep, skip, uninstall,
reinstall and install (install being the new version). What you say at the
end makes sense to me, and I think setup should check that stored and target
install path's are not the same (perhaps it does?), so PTC. ;-)

> * My new install has info only for bash--it doesn't even have info for
>   info. But my old install has info for pretty much everything. Again,
>   a workaround is to just copy from the old /usr/info to the new, but
>   ... what do I hafta do to ensure a new install has all the latest
>   info? (Also, I suspect a Reinstall option would cure this problem
>   also--correct?)

Well, because setup see's your old installation but doesn't (AFAIK) check
for difference in the target path. And there is a reinstall option, unless
you mean reinstall all (existing) packages?

Elfyn