Using cygwin from network drive [Was :Re: procps 010801-2 question]

Hello, all,

I have solved my problem, and I think I know what was
going on, but some of you can maybe confirm or deny
what I am saying here.

For migrating my Cygwin environment to the network,
I used the following steps :

- Create a backup of my mount moints
- Unmount all mount points
- Copy the complete cygwin tree from HD to network
- Update DOS/Windows PATH to point to new cygwin/bin
- Remount mount points on new paths
- Start testing

Some non-critical programs acted weird. Well, I forgot
something to do. I have a startup script which starts up
applications, but these applications are started from
within Windows, using ftype and assoc settings. When
I restarted them, they still used parts of the old cygwin
tree, so I suppose at some level there was a conflict.

Since most applications ran fine, I then changed the
ftype setting, removed the old cygwin tree and then
ran completely from the network drive. Under normal
circumstances, all programs work fine.

cygcheck -s generates an error when run inside a
screen session (screen 3.9.13) or inside a terminal
started from a screen session, but not when run from
a normal dos box or from a shell (pdksh, bash) inside
a DOS box. Just tested : it does not generate this error
when run from strace, inside a box where I normally get
this error.

Added : one attachment

Jurgen

jurgen dot defurne+FromInterNet at philips dot com
Sent by:
cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com
04/22/2003 11:40 AM