This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Include cygipc in the distribution (was Re: cygipc (and PostgreSQL) XP problem resolved!)
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf at redhat dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 17:25:00 -0400
- Subject: Include cygipc in the distribution (was Re: cygipc (and PostgreSQL) XP problem resolved!)
- References: <20030506174725.GE1652@tishler.net>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 01:47:26PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
>Thanks to help from Frank Seesink, I was able to finally figure out why
>cygipc and in turn PostgreSQL failed to work properly under XP in
>certain situations. See the attached for some of the details.
>In summary, invoking the XP Fast User Switching feature causes XP to
>start using multiple kernel object namespaces instead of a single global
>one. This in turn causes cygipc clients to fail to find a global
>semaphore (i.e., \BaseNamedObjects\MultiSemSem_) created by ipc-daemon
>Are you willing to accept a cygipc patch to correct this problem?
Since we no longer seem to have a cygwin-daemon maintainer, I'm wondering
if it is time to start including cygipc in the main distribution. It
seems like the lack of this functionality is a real handicap to people.
FWIW, I'm willing to take over maintainership if that is a barrier.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html