RE: redistributing cygwin1.dll

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Christopher Faylor

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 08:27:14PM +0200, Hannu E K Nevalainen

> >> Someone chose not to include a 6MB file on their web site or in their
> >> ftp area and I'm supposed to do something to help them?  The year is
> >> 2003.  6MB is not a lot of space.

> >FYI:
> > My ISP does supply me with a whopping 10MB of "web space" - so much for
> >"2003".
> > At school I have 40MB, not much that either.
> >
> >Life isn't easy these days... ;-P
>
> Yes, I fully expected this response.

> http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/false-dilemma.html

 Sigh...  :-(  should I have "expected" that?
First of all: I do not use a handbook in "Basic logic" to make sure that
everything is clear in my writing. The above indicates that you do... not
nice IMO.
Or are you saying I'm a quibbler? (Fallacy -> Sophism -> Quibblers)

Second: I'm not here to lobby for GPL violation.

But I think I've tried to say it before; let there be some nuance; (Also
Known as: *INVERSE OF* Black & White Thinking. <- One of the first lines on
that webpage.)

 "Little Billy" writes an application using cygwin/gcc and puts this on his
very personal webpage (which happens to be limited to 10MB).
 What do we gain by hitting him on the head and telling him to adhere to the
GPL?
 I'd say; -nothing- else but some _counterproductive_ stuff.
 If "Little Billy" stays at it, using cygwin/gcc; we might end up with a
real nice
guy. Maybe even the new Linus Torvalds?
 Would you stop that guy? ;-)

BTW: Let Little Billy's age be undefined.

> 1 minute of google search unearths this:
>
> http://www.freewebspace.net/php/search.php?form_space=10&b=0&i=10&a=1

 So you think "free webspace" is the answer here...

 Might be that one can, through the above, find *one* or maybe two providers
that is _really_ usable of those "206 free webspace providers". At best
after just a few days work or so.
 Then - after finding that provider; When I've looked I've always found that
there always is a hitch: you have to give them your email (i.e. open it up
for spam) or pay a monthly fee (to get a fair amount of space) just for a
start...  In overall; The "free" seems to diminish in bright light.

 As I said before; Life isn't easy these days. Or as Swedes say "No matter
what you do - you still have your behind behind"
 (or should that be "...butt behind" ;-)

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden

--
Now; Why I'm so "scared" of handing over my email address?

 I've had a couple of email adresses rendered unusable by spammers (One
remarkable source is *hinet.net - no use in complaining).
 As I use email for a lot of things there is a *considerable* amount of
trouble in changing it.

moment that the "spam amount" increases beyond one per day.
 Searchable mail archives is just one source of email adresses to send spam
to (read below how easy it is to extract adresses).

 Just today I read an article about spam; "about half of all email that is
sent is so called spam" (NB: this is not the only source stating about the
same).
More:
- Orson Swindle from FTC participating a three day conference (400
participants) in Washington: "E-mail is the killer application of the
Internet, and spam is killing the killer application".
- ePrivacy Group has a new "standard" presented as a white paper on "Trusted
Email Open Standard" (TEOS) to build on top of SMTP.

 Entire article+more (Swedish of course) at www.nyteknik.se/mer -> Mer
lasning fran nummer 20 -> Oppen standard ska stoppa skrapposten [030513,
08:00]

--
Just to proove how easy it is to extract email-adresses for any purpouse:

$ wget ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/mail-archives/cygwin-2003-04.bz2

$ bzip2 -d cygwin-2003-04.bz2

$ sed  <cygwin-2003-04 -ne 's/^From:\( *\)\(.*\)<\+\(.*\)>\+/\3/ p' | \
  tr   [:upper:] [:lower:]                                          | \
  sort                                                              | \
  uniq >adr.txt

$ wc -l <adr.txt
    413

# That is 413 different posters in April

$ grep '^cgf' <adr.txt
cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com
cgf-noreply@redhat.com
cgf-rcm@cygwin.com
cgf-stc@cygwin.com
cgf@redhat.com

# cgf does postings from at least five email-adresses ;-)

$ grep 'hotmail\|yahoo' <adr.txt | wc -l
     53

# 53 poster's used yahoo and hotmail in April

--END OF MESSAGE--