Re: Linux or DOS javac?

--On 19 May 2003 20:55 +1000 Robert Mark Bram <> wrote:

Howdy All!

I have found out that when I compile java code in cygwin, I have to make
sure that my classpath and file names are in DOS format. For example;

CLASSPATH=".;C:\temp" javac "C:\temp\"

I believe this is required because the javac that is being used is a
DOS/Windows javac and the file paths are translated.

My problem is that I am trying to install the Janos nodeos which has a
large set of build scripts that require Linux like paths, not DOS. My
reason for saying this is because I am getting error messages like this:

error: cannot read:

I take this to mean that the script is building Linux paths which are not
understood by the DOS javac.

If I have assumed correctly so far, can I download a Linux/Unix javac and
will it use the Linux paths ok?

You say "download". Yes, of cause you can download a Linux/Unix Javac - just don't expect it to actually WORK on Windows. Remember, Cygwin is just a layer on top of Windows. You cannot run Linux binaries on Windows by using Cygwin.

I have examined some of the build scripts - it is not easy to change how
they deal with paths because they do a lot sed operations (for example)
and heaps of variable substitutions as part of their sanity checks.

I would have guessed, without looking at all, that there are very few invocations of Javac. Leave the sed/variable substitution alone and look at patching the actual invocation of Javac with `cygpath -w "$directory"` and `cygpath -w -p "$CLASSPATH"`.

Good luck.

Mark Himsley

-- Unsubscribe info: Problem reports: Documentation: FAQ: