Re: a2ps and printer (and lpr fix)

Hi,

Giles Civario identified a cygutils lpr fix that enables
printing postscript to a postscript printer (by fixing the
datatype code from 'raw' to 'RAW' - Wed, 14 May 2003 07:36:53
+0200).

This is Great news! I really hope this fix will work for the
same problem I have with a current Cygwin under Win98SE, also
using a postscript printer.

Will cygutils be updated with this fix?

(On my system, when referencing the postscript printer by its
share name, a StartDocPrinter error is returned with an
apparently binary code to STDERR (02x 04x) in place of text.  If
I use the local printer name instead of the share reference,
then a window pops up indicating an print error,  and suggests
setting the printer to use RAW spool format - but the printer
already IS set in that mode.)

Just a sanity check, however.  Does the fix impact printing to a
non-postscript printer (or one whose spool setting is not
'RAW')?

The reason I ask is that I can print a raw text file to a non-
postscript printer using lpr.   This raises the question whether
this works simply because 'raw' is not recognized.  Of course, I
really want to print postscript to the postscript printer, but
wouldn't want a fix to break lpr access to the non-postscript
printer.

Thanks,
Carl Holmberg