Can't get dumper.exe to work

I've moved my project over to cygwin from FreeBSD, but am having quite some
trouble getting a simple corefile.

Running the application inside gdb is not acceptable as it must run
unattended, and restart after any crashes, leaving a corefile for later
inspection.

However, I've discovered that Cygwin seems to think that that corefiles
aren't really all that important.....

I've looked at the manpage for dumper and have exported the path to
dumper.exe and "env" shows it as follows:

error_start=c:\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe

According to everything I've read - that's all I have to do to get a CORE
file... but, alas, no corefile...

What else can I do?