Re: Sparse file criteria malfunction - binutils produces sparse .exe & .dll files

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 05:25:18PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> I threw together a horrible C program to ask Windows whether a file was
> sparse. .exe and .dll files made with a 1.5.0 Cygwin are. I haven't posted
> the test program, because it is too messy.
> [...]
> I give proof that dll/exe files are being created sparse above.

> Do you mean proof that sparseness of .exe files is harmful?
> Data has already been posted by me and others showing that sparse files
> consume excess disc space.

It does if it's used for files smaller than 128K.  That's probably
an argument to sparsify a file only if the lseek hole is >= 128K
but it's not an argument against sparse files at all.  I'm perfectly
happy with changing this from 64K to 128K, ok?

> a sparse file - I have no test data, but since sparseness gains me nothing,
> and might lose me something, I dont like it._

That's a good argument. I'm speechless.

> So, the point is, for the majority of users, sparseness gains nothing, and
> can have undesirable effects.
> Therefore, I really think it should be off by default.

We're now on the path of opinion.  My opinion is to drop 9x/Me
support entirely from Cygwin since it just requires ugly hacks
in the code.  But that's not actually an argument to do it in

Cygwin Developer
Red Hat, Inc.