Re: ':' - was rsync..

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 07:18:12AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>Sorry for not replying in thread - I deleted the email a little fast
>:p.
>
>Anyway, ':' is -not- in the POSIX portable filename character set:
>http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/glossary.html#tag_004_000_
>207
>
>':' as a special behaviour is not a Windows invention, it harks (in
>windows' case) from the VMS roots, and perhaps further back still.
>
>Secondly, solutions to handle ':' -will- involve not writing the ':' to
>disk, which means parsing and interpreting the filename for validity on
>every open, and during opendir etc.  It's overhead - do we need it...

I'm working on a per-mount option that would allow UNIX-like flexibility
in filename choice.  It's something tha Red Hat thinks it vaguely needs
so I thought I'd do it in my spare time when I'm not being driven crazy
by management issues and politics.

For the record, I am nowhere near a working implementation right now and
I don't have any ETA.

cgf
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.