Memleak Apparently Attributable to Cygwin Setup

When I try to run Cygwin Setup, it hangs, as far as I can make out,
forever.

This behaviour occurs in all of the following four circumstances:

1    An "install from internet" update of an existing Cygwin
     installation, which consisted of the default packages, plus a few
     extra.

2    A fresh "install from internet," after deleting my existing
     Cygwin installation, with all packages marked for installation.

3    A fresh "install from local directory," after deleting my
     existing Cygwin installation, with all packages marked for
     installation.

4    A fresh "install from local directory," after deleting my
     existing Cygwin installation, with the default set of packages
     marked for installation.

The stage, at which the hang occurs, is after downloading/MD5sum
checking is complete, and during installation of the first package
(a2ps in cases 1-3, ash in case 4.)  I note that this is the same
stage where McAfee and Norton anti-viruses are [Cygwin FAQ] believed
to lead to similar behaviour, so I stopped (unloaded, in its own
terms) my anti-virus (F-Secure,) and tried 2 and 3 again (this is the
only way I tried 4.)  I observed the same behaviour.

Keeping Windows Task Manager's "Processes" tab open while running
Cygwin Setup (case 2, with anti-virus unloaded) allows monitoring of
memory usage.  The following statistics are in kB.

Memory Usage

By What?	setup.exe	other processes		total

When?

At start of	 28872		~69000			  172104
download

At end of	  4604		~33000			~ 177000
download/
start of
install

Immediately      31828		~25000			~ 605000
before
aborting
install with
"Cancel"
button (~40
minutes
after start
of install)

Immediately      64000		~16000			~ 650000
after
aborting
install

Immediately	~60000		Not noted		~1050000
before
setup.exe
disappears
from process
list (~10
minutes after
aborting)

Immediately	n/a		~26000			 ~156000
after
setup.exe
disappears
from process
list

This sounds like a memory leak, either in setup.exe, or related to
setup.exe, to me.  Either way, it's left me without Cygwin :-(.

The listed processes' memory use does not add up to the total memory
use, as previously noted [S. Reddie.  Memory leak? (was: 1.3.9: "fork:
Permission denied" (Windows 2000.))  cygwin@cygin.com, Feb. 2002.], in
a rather different context, on this mailing list.

Any ideas, please, anyone?

--
Thanks

Dan Hatton