Re: unexpected behavior: setup v2.340.2.5

linda w (cyg) wrote:

When went to the software list (mirror kernel.org), I saw several pieces of
software that I was a rev or so behind on.

Out of curiosity, I thought I might also see what the newest beta's were.

Problem is that it deselected all of the regular versions that needed
updating.

I would have expected to see the list of software I wasn't current on
+ any beta versions of the product -- since if I wanna think I'm running
'cutting (occasionally bleeding) edge', I'd like to think that selecting
beta has the latest SW installed for everything -- including test betas.

I can see an interpretation that selecting 'beta' would *only* show beta' products, but I would think upgrading to 'beta' but not having the current released products would be an untested/unreliable state. I.e. it seems it would be undesirable to install beta's without also having the rest of one's distro being current.

??

I don't know what you mean by "beta".  If you mean packages installed
when you press the "Exp" radio button in setup, then that's how it works.
You pick "Exp" to install any experimental versions of software that
you already have installed or decide you want to install.  You select
"Curr" for updating everything else.  They're mutually exclusive.
Practically, if you want to update your system to all the latest plus
the experimental versions, update to the "Curr" list and then rerun setup
and update to the "Exp" list.  This will get you what you want, if I'm
interpreting your goals properly.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746