Re: Download from internet = 1Mb?!

On 18 Jun, To: cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:

>  The mirror is 1.2Gb, and I wanted to just write a copy of the install
>  set to take home.  So my idea was to choose "download from internet",
>  and burn that.
>
>  Trouble is, that option results in a 1Mb download (I think all it does
>  is download setup.exe).

Fergus replied:

> Even a "Download from Internet" will only download what you need. If your
> machine has an up-to-date Cygwin installation then you don't need anything
> and so nothing (except the current setup.ini) will be downloaded.
>
> There are ways of downloading an installation set that involve temporarily
> blinding Windows to your installed Cygwin. Not difficult. Discussed on the
> mailing list at various times ... can be more specific if you want.
>
> Fergus

Yes, please, Fergus, I would like to know.  Even knowing a Subject line
to search for in the archive would be fine.

luke

PS:

Apologies for not following up on this staright away.

I only just found the reply, because I only recently (partly) worked out
what caused all list mail to me from Cygwin to be dumped to /dev/null,
starting about a month ago.  So I only just now visited the archive to
see if anyone had replied.  :-(

(The cause seems related to file size limits that can hit cat when
appending to a large file.)